Accidents spark plan to look at reopening road as dual carriageway
A STRETCH of Torquay seafront could be reopened as a dual carriageway amid safety fears for pedestrians.
The stretch between the Palm Court and the Pavilion was altered in June, 2011, as it was reported that traffic was flowing more smoothly.
One lane of the road had to be shut during work to Rock Walk. It was found traffic was not being held up by parking vehicles and it was decided to use the seaward side for parking.
However, there have been reports of near misses as pedestrians find crossing the one way/ two way road confusing. There had been four reported slight injury accidents and one slight injury accident involving a cyclist. But council officers say there had been accidents with the other layout as well.
Holiday Home's FOR SALE in Brixham £1000 off New Homes, South...View details
£1000 Off Any New Holiday Home at Southbay Holiday Village. Prices of new starting from only £17,995 Facilities inc Club, Pools, shop etc, Quiet Park, Choice of Homes and Plots which are furnished
Terms: Not to be used in conjunction with any other offer or with a P/X on park. Come and take a look today and own your own part of South Devon. For allot less than you can imagine!! Letting permitted
Contact: 01803 220485
Valid until: Saturday, June 01 2013
Now transport chiefs have agreed to look at it again, and carry out consultation. The decision comes after Mayor Gordon Oliver asked for a review of the way that stretch of the seafront is working.
The current system reduced the number of on street parking spaces from 90 to 35, with disabled spaces and a coach dropping off point and parking bay. It cost £90,000 to introduce and reversing it would cost £45,000.
At the Mayor's request, officers also looked at the possibility of providing echelon parking, but it was said this could cost around £55,000.
The Princess Theatre had said it was reasonably happy with the current arrangement, but had concerns about the lack of a crossing near the theatre. However this would reduce the space available for parking.
The review has been requested because the developers of the former Palm Court Hotel are finalising the layout of the road in front of their Abbey Sands development.
If a decision was delayed there was a risk it could mean altering the developers' proposals at public expense. Officers said creating extra on street spaces, which are free at night, might hit car park revenue.