Firefighters' praise for staff
FIREMEN praised staff at Torquay's Thomas Cook travel agency for closing fire doors and evacuating the building after a fire started in the staff kitchen.
The Union Street shop and the YMCA charity shop next door were both evacuated.
Torquay fire station watch manager Gary Judge said: "An electric water heater in a staff room caught fire.
"It looks as if there was a water leak and it shorted.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
"The staff were very good. They evacuated and got us out very quickly.
"There was quite a lot of smoke at the back. Four fire crew wearing breathing apparatus went in and put out the small fire, and it took us a little while to get rid of it using positive pressure ventilation fan to blow it out.
"Fire crews also used a thermal imaging camera to check for hotspots. Nobody was hurt at all, which was great."
The fire happened at lunchtime on Monday.