Injured man found 'bleeding heavily' in Kingsbridge fire flat
POLICE are investigating an incident in Kingsbridge early on Wednesday in which an injured man was found unconscious in a flat.
The alarm was raised at 6.30am at Kings Market in Fore Street.a neighbour in the flat above reported a smoke detector sounding for hours, but no sign of fire and music playing.
The neighbour said he believed the occupant was in the flat.
A fire service spokesman said the crew had difficulty gaining entry via the front door and eventually got in via a window using a ladder.
Holiday Home FOR SALE in Brixham, South Devon £2500 OFF any Regal...View details
Holiday Home FOR SALE IN BRIXHAM WITH SEA VIEWS over looking St. Mary's Bay beach. Come and take a look today. ONE WEEK ONLY. Facilities on site. Pools, Ents, Club, Shop. Quiet park with stunning area
Terms: Not to be used in conjunction with any other offer or with a P/X on park. Come and take a look today and own your own part of South Devon. For allot less than you can imagine!! Letting permitted
Contact: 01803 220485
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
Once inside, they found a man aged around 40 unconscious on the floor. Food that had been left unattended on the cooker had been on fire, but was out when the firefighters arrived.
The flat was heavily smoke-logged and the man was suffering from smoke inhalation and also bleeding heavily from a wound.
The crew gave first aid until an ambulance arrived.