Newton Abbot fire sparks South Devon power cut
UP TO 40,000 homes and businesses across South Devon were without power this morning as supplies were cut.
Homes in Torquay and Kingskerswell were in darkness, and Torbay Hospital was among the locations affected by the power cut just after 11am.
Traffic lights at Penn Inn on the outskirts of Newton Abbot were out, as were the lights at Lawes Bridge in Torquay, where staff from the nearby McDonalds were helping to direct traffic.
Firefighters confirmed that the cause of the blackout had been a fire at a sub-station next to Yeo Valley on the Brunel industrial Estate in Newton Abbot at 10.57am.
There were reports of a loud bang and flames.
Two fire engines from Newton Abbot were sent to the scene and on arrival confirmed that there had been a fire involving electrical transformers.
The fire was already out on their arrival.
Power was restored to most locations around 11.30am. Newton Abbot homes had power back by 11.50am.
Western Power Distribution said they were working to restore full power to all locations.
The power cut caused lifts to fail in a number of locations. Firefighters freed people from lifts at Wilkinsons and the Job Centre in Newton Abbot and at Marks and Spencer at the Willows.
Thanks to Twitter followers @nubcakeone @mdunderwood @tufcmatthew @queen_smith @bernoid and @debmmademaid for keeping us up to date. Follow us @thisissdevon to join our growing online community