Snow in South Devon: the latest forecast
The cold snap in South Devon looks set to stay, with sleet, ice and snow forecast over the coming days and gusts of wind intensifying low temperatures.
Yellow weather warnings of ice are in place for the region today, and of both snow and ice tomorrow. The Met Office predicts icy stretches on untreated surfaces.
Between one and three centimetres of snow could fall in the South West today, and the Met Office warns of further localised snow accumulation tomorrow.
There is a 20 per cent chance of precipitation - that is, rain, sleet or snow - in Torbay and South Devon this afternoon, rising to 80 per cent tomorrow.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
Temperatures will reach highs of 6°C on Tuesday, but the Met Office says it will feel much colder - as low as -1°C. Wind gusts will reach 46mph by tomorrow afternoon.
Similarly, on Wednesday temperatures will reach highs of 5°C, but it will feel as low as -1°C. Wind gusts will peak at 32mph.
Yellow weather warnings of ice remain in place until Wednesday afternoon.
The South West should brace itself for travel disruption both today and tomorrow, the Met Office warns.
Today will be one of the AA’s busiest days for breakdowns so far this winter. By midday the AA had attended some 7,200 breakdowns nationwide, including 229 cars stuck in snow.
There has been a big increase in flat batteries, as many cars were left idle from Thursday. Motorists are also experiencing problems because their cars were covered in snow and ice.
The AA expects to attend more than 17,000 call-outs in total today, compared to around 10,500 on an average Monday.
Breakdowns are currently coming in at around 2,000 every hour, with the busiest areas being the Midlands, the South West, South East and London.