Torquay firefighters' prompt response 'vital'
FOUR people were taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after a fire at a house in Torquay.
Two of Torquay's full-time fire pumps were sent to the terrace property in Empire Road in the Plainmoor area after reports of a blaze in the kitchen.
When firefighters arrived they found an adult, a teenager and two children free of the property.
They were not seriously hurt but did require some oxygen treatment.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
They were later taken to Torbay Hospital as a precaution.
The fire had started in the cooker and the kitchen was severely damaged by fire. The rest of the house was damaged by smoke.
Incident commander Mark Wileman said the two crews had arrived within eight minutes of the initial call. The house had a working smoke detector.
He said this prompt response had been vital in keeping damage to a minimum and making sure everybody was safe.
He said proposed cuts to the full-time crewing at Torquay station may mean that in future such a response may not be possible.
The incident happened on Thursday, January 24, at 5.45pm.
Crews used two breathing apparatus to put the fire out, one hose reel jet and a thermal imaging camera. A fan was used to clear smoke.