Work starts on demolition of upper deck of Torquay's Banjo platform
WORK has started on the latest phase of multi-million pound improvements to Torquay promenade.
Contractors are working on the second phase of the scheme which will see the demolition of the upper deck of the concrete Banjo viewing platform.
Patrick Carney, Torbay's highways boss, said the work would include specialist protection to the Eastern promenade which had been repaired last winter.
The Western promenade was repaired in 2007.
With a wealth of experience in all aspects of upvc, from windows & doors to conservatories and anything in between GDH UPVC offers competitive prices why not call today you maybe surprised!
Contact: 01803 226676
Valid until: Thursday, June 20 2013
Mr Carney said the work would extend the life of the promenade for 25 years and will open up the views across the marina.
"Whatever we did to clean it up, the lower section of the banjo was never an inviting environment.
"This was the only way we thought we could remove that problem.
"With the lower section you will be able to walk out over the water."
The work is expected to continue through until June.
Demolition and rebuilding the Banjo will cost £1.2million.
The money is coming out of the council's capital budget, most of it paid for through borrowing.
Susie Colley, chairman of Torre and Upton community partnership, queried why the council had spent so much money improving both the top and bottom deck of the Banjo when they knew it was going to be demolished.
Mr Carney said: "We didn't carry out major repairs, and some repairs needed doing anyway.
"We felt it wouldn't be right to open the promenade and leave the Banjo open because it is our shop window."